Reply To: Minimum Wage: Youth wage and an exemption for small businesses

Retail NZ Home Forums Retail NZ Forum Minimum Wage: Youth wage and an exemption for small businesses Reply To: Minimum Wage: Youth wage and an exemption for small businesses

Neville Templeton
Participant
Up
Down
::

I do not believe that young people under the age of 20 and who are living with one or more parents need a minimum wage which is ostensibly designed to meet the minimum needs of someone living independently. (Unless they can prove that their income is essential to their family). Many young people have a minimal cost of living themselves.

In 40 years as an employer me and my staff have enjoyed training staff as young as 14 and often employing them through School and Uni. Almost all have gained skills and work habits that we are proud to have taught. There are some drawbacks being restricted availability due to learning, sport and non negotiable family holidays. Given that most will be on the minimum wage “before we know it” we are now more likely to employ part-time adult workers who bring experience and have the flexibility to commit to working throughout the day.

Our Supporters

OUR STRATEGIC PARTNERS

Would you like one of our team to give you a call? Let us know and we will get back to you.