Our Partners


Using music in-store.

Get the permission you need to play music in your store quickly and easily with a OneMusic licence. When you hold a OneMusic licence you are supporting the people that make the music you love, while covering off your legal obligations when playing music in a business setting (the “public performance” of music).

When you buy, stream or download music you buy the rights to use that music in a domestic setting – at home, in your car, and at your private parties. When you take that music and play it in a commercial environment however, you need permission from the people that created the music you play. Enter OneMusic.

A OneMusic licence grants you the permission you need to play music “in public”. Through agreements with music rights organisations around the world, a OneMusic licence grants you permission to use virtually all music from anywhere in the world – from local indie rock bands to the world’s biggest pop stars.

Having permission to play music “in public” (including retail stores), is a legal requirement under the Copyright Act (1994).

Who are OneMusic?

OneMusic is a joint initiative between the two organisations that administer music rights in New Zealand, APRA AMCOS – who represent songwriters, composers and music publishers – and Recorded Music NZ – who represent owners of sound recordings (usually recording artists and record labels).

Both APRA and Recorded Music NZ are member organisations, which means that after administration costs all licence fees collected are paid to music creators as royalties.

How much does a license cost?

Music licences for retail stores depend on the size of your store and how you play music, starting from as little as $1 per day. Visit the retail section of the OneMusic website to view the rates for your store or just click here.

Where can I learn more?

Read answers to the most commonly asked questions about music licensing on the OneMusic website, or on the Retail NZ website here.

You can also read about the requirement to hold a music licence, and view the Copyright Act (1994) here.

Our Supporters


Would you like one of our team to give you a call? Let us know and we will get back to you.

Holler Box